ViSi Tip - Proper Thumb Sensor Placement
Temperature, respiration, pulse, blood pressure, and oxygen saturation are measurements that indicate a person’s hemodynamic status. These are the five vital signs most frequently obtained by health care practitioners (Perry, Potter, & Ostendorf, 2014). Continuous monitoring of these vital signs will potentially reveal sudden changes in a patient’s condition and measure changes that occur over time, as well as indicate the need for intervention.
Monitoring of human cardio-pulmonary rates exhibits a variety of applications from medical diagnostics to fitness assessment and emotion recognition. Heart and respiration rates monitoring can be used to predict certain pulmonary and cardiovascular diseases, which account for more than 31% of all deaths worldwide.
The Visi Mobile reusable thumb sensor is the most advanced vital sign sensor on the market today. Used in conjunction with the Visi Mobile Patient Monitoring System, the sensor provides continuous Non-Invasive Blood Pressure (cNIBP), and functional oxygen saturation of arterial hemoglobin (SpO2) monitoring.
The sensor was designed for improved comfort, durability, and accuracy in a variety of clinical care settings. Multiple uses demonstrated in clinical testing show that the thumb sensors last up to 30 days and remain accurate even after several cleanings using common hospital disinfectants.
Proper Placement Best Practices
Proper placement of the thumb sensor is crucial to ensuring accuracy. Here are some tips and best practices in thumb sensor placement:
- Ensure proper placement of the thumb sensor.
- Ensure the thumb sensor is completely covered by thumb tape for optimal performance.
- Ensure the thumb sensor is placed correctly in the thumb tape or thumb posey cradle.
- The thumb sensor can be placed on the thumb, index, or middle fingers only.
- Ensure the thumb sensor is placed at the base of the digit.
- Ensure the thumb sensor is placed on the palm side of the hand.
- Blue thumb tape is preferred over Velcro wrap.
- Reinforce with additional blue tape if excessive ambient light (overhead or sunshine) is present, to optimize performance.